Great news at long last planning application is about to go in to Surrey for our new building. Just need £250000. The ball is rolling.
Tongham Scout Group will be taking part in ‘Let’s get Moving’ – this is a free event at the Tongham Recreation Ground, where around 60 local clubs will be promoting themselves to the Community.
We will be building a Pioneering Course and offering food (Chicken Wraps & Chicken Hotdogs), we would love to see lots of you at this event, which runs from 1 to 5pm.
We need help in building and running the Pioneering Course (an assault course built from poles, ropes, knots and lots of Scout Leaders! – they make good stays!) Plus cooking & serving food.
We will also be pitching a few tents.
PLUS we need lots of Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Explorers & Net Work to turn up and tell everybody what Scouting is about and all the things you get up to.
So if you can help with any of the following please email tonghamscouts (@) gmail.com
Sunday morning – Building the Pioneering Course
11 to 1pm – Setting up tents and the food
1pm to 3pm – Serving food
Any time between 1 & 5pm – Promoting Scouting, having fun
I thought I should take time out to catch up with you all; on what a busy couple of scouting weeks we all have had!
Getting the DBS’s through in time for family camp, thank you Steve Rattan, everyone got in.
Last week I met with the Farnham District Network Group, these are the 18-25 year olds, after Explorer Scouts. Matt Whitaker is their chairman. It’s amazing to see young men such as Matt, David Crow and Rupert Deadman who came through the Fantastic Fourths as Beavers, Cubs and Scouts to still be so actively involved. Good to see they hadn’t forgotten their basic skills and could tie a decent square lashing. Together we erected the pioneering camp gate for family camp.
Last Thursday I was at scouts, it happened to be the Queen’s Birthday, Tim Shellard, Scout leader, organised a rousing chorus of the national anthem, fortunately Sarah Gearey was there to keep us in key and in rhythm.
Family camp 2016 was a great success again. Over 550 people camped overnight and some 770 people on site on Saturday for the fun. Although it rained Friday eveningSaturday was sunny, today was colder, especially up the top of the climbing tower.
Many thanks to all the Scout leaders involved this weekend we had some 70 people from the Fourths camping. The most we have had attending for a long time. We had a great turnout from the Beaver section with many new parents too camping, hopefully a good sign for the future.
12 Beavers were acknowledged for gaining their Bronze Chief Scout Award. Our newest leader Iaan Thorn was enrolled.
Also on site were the Explorers, loads of them, 14-18 year olds many from the Fourths helping run all the activities from inflatables, climbing, shooting, archery etc. Two local Explorers from Elstead were awarded the Chief Scouts Commendation for good service and today (Sunday 14th) were to be awarded a medal at Windsor hopefully by the Queen. They had given first aid to a collapsed adult in Elstead who others had passed by, they saved his life!
We even got to see a little April Sun, and were very pleased to get all the camping gear down dry and put away.
We have some important Camping dates coming up:
- District Scout Camp, Mellow Farm, Dockenfield, 14-15th May
- District Cub Centenary weekend, Garners Field, 11-12th June
- Scout Expedition Camp weekend, Seale 10-12th June
- Cub & Scout Summer Camp, Harrowgate, Yorkshire, 23rd -30th July
Another date for your diary – is our Group Annual BBQ – Friday 24th June (incorporating Group Updates, and AGM)
We shall also be giving each member of the Group – Beavers, Cubs & Scouts a Queens 90th Birthday badge to wear on their uniform.
We have some very talented young people within our Group. In December Rosie will be performing in Jack and the Beanstalk on Ice at the Spectrum and, in January, Emily will play Oliver in the Mychett Playmakers production of Twist. If you would like to go and see our Scouts, the web links are below.
We have three things on this week and coming weekend.
1. Group night this Thursday– we are having a campfire at the hut 6:30 to 8:30 there will campfire singing a sausage and some marshmallows. Please dress for the weather also at the end there will be a short presentation on Summer Camp next year in the hut at 8:30 please come and watch.
2. Tongham Bonfire on Saturday– we will be at the free bonfire on Saturday and as usual the Scouts will be lighting the bonfire so I need volunteers to help, let me know if you wish to help carry a lit torch through Tongham – If you do you will need to wear uniform and come to the recreation ground in Tongham for 6pm ( the lighting will follow a procession at 6:30)
3. Remembrance Sunday Parade– this year we are in Farnham meeting in the central car park at 10:15 am. This is an important church parade so a good turnout would be great . Dress: Full Scout Uniform, no jeans, no trainers. Poppy, Family medals to be worn on right. Otherwise, personal medals on left.
(If its chilly Scout to wear thermal vest/t shirt layered underneath.) Pick up is usually after 12:00 meet back in the central car park.